Oil on panel
Gerini was a native of Florence and a fresco painter representing the Giottesque school. He often collaborated with fellow guild member Jacopo di Cione in projects including the largest altarpiece commissioned at the time—a triptych of the “Coronation of the Virgin” for the Benedictine church of St. Pier Maggiore in 1370. Though active in Pisa, Rome, and other Italian cities, Gerini worked mostly in Florence. His Florentine frescoes included the façade of the Bigallo Museo in Florence, the Guild Hall of the Judges and Notaries, and Sant'Ambrogio church.
The FAC received Gerini’s painting through the Kress Collection, which donated to scores of regional and academic art museums throughout the United States between 1929 and 1961. The Kress Collection encompasses more than 3,000 works of European art, and is distinguished for its abundance of Italian Renaissance paintings. Other repositories of the Collection include the Denver Art Museum, the National Gallery of Art in D.C., and the Seattle Art Museum.